Flying Purple Hippos Forums
Shuskee

finally, an accurate history of america

now we're stuck discussing racism and not george washington punching a shark cat tiger next to a bundle of christmas gifts and a dude's butt :(

• I'm with stupid 3

I really appreciated the John Adams timeline. Good for him, always nice to see a man get revenge for his mum.

OK so Ima ignore the incredibly silly discussion in that first half of first page because this thing is incroyable voila sur la table

Apparently this illustrated book was itself based on second hand sources, so I think a lot of the awesomeness is down to missing information - the author might not have had good info on what Americans and their clothes really looked like and shit like that, so not only are they using classic Japanese faces and landscapes, they're also using Japanese mythological themes to complete the stories and stuff.

The tiger thing is brilliant because tigers have a special place in East Asian mythology - it's never a lion, it's a tiger, the tiger is the #1 symbol of strength and grappling with it in turn is the archetypical test of strength. (Did they even have tigers in 18c US?)

The funny thing is that the author does try at various times to do Western clothing and such (the 'best' being the pseudo-Napoleonic garb of the marching soldiers in front of the wagon), but ironically, his attempt to do Western clothing ends up looking most Japanese to us (like the squatting Benjamin's breastplate - it's like he tried to do a French late medieval thing or something).

I'm not surprised about the faces at all. The author might not have been a particularly prominent or accomplished artist, so it would be unlikely for him to go ahead and invent a whole new way of drawing faces for these white people that he might not have really seen himself and certainly couldn't get any to model for him.

• I'm with stupid 1

I guess my christmas present to you all will be changing my sig from a six month old world cup joke

tigrrrr.png

Edited by Shuskee
  • I'm with stupid 4