Flying Purple Hippos Forums
Lucianox

you guys are no longer intellectually interesting

read a god damn book every once in a while

(what are you reading lately thread)

Recently I finished reading "Employment Law: Cases and Materials, 7th Edition" by Mark Rothstein and Lance Liebman (eds.). :considerably:

Books I read in the last 30 days:

Tom Wolfe - Bonfire of the Vanities

Seneca - Dialogues

Bordewijk - Blokken / Knorrende Beesten / Bint

Next up on the list is Kafka.

For my studies,

John Etchemendy - The concept of logical consequence

F. William Lawvere - Conceptual Mathematics (currently)

Richard Tieszen - Phenomenology, Logic and the Philosophy of Mathematics

CBA to look further back than 30 days

Finished these since I got a library card in late September

working full time too

J.A. Baker - The Peregrine

James Baldwin - Go Tell It on the Mountain

Samuel Beckett - Molloy

Thomas Bernard - Woodcutters

Paul Bowles - The Sheltering Sky

Anton Chekhov - My Life

J.M. Coetzee - Disgrace

John Gray - The Silence of Animals

Pankaj Mishra - From the Ruins of Empire

Thomas Vollmann - Europe Central

Jessica Wapner - The Philadelphia Chromosome

Would be more but I started playing GW2 again last month

I have Goodreads, too, which saved me the need to remember what it is that I have actually read.

The plan is to spend a week breezing through the sci-fi book and NNT's Antifragile which a friend got me for Christmas then finish the Beckett trilogy.

Currently working on ADWD and recently finished the hunger games trilogy. Also reread Ender's Game about a month ago, so fucking good.

I also recently-ish reread Ender's Game, but yesterday I finished Armor by John Streakley. It was... Kinda meh.

On to the rest of the giant stack of novels I picked up over Christmas.

Over the last month, the following. Ask me about any one and happy to provide lulzy details. :considerably:

Borges - The Library of Babel

Celine - Journey to the end of the night - Novel

Cormack - Byzantine Art

Haldon - A Social History of Byzantium

Isin - Being Political: Genealogies of Citizenship - Social history of techniques of differentiating citizen as a political category in the West

Malraux - La Condition Humaine / Man's Fate - Novel

Meillassoux - After Finitude - Speculative realist philosophy

Stiegler - Technics and Time, 1 - It's sort of about Heidegger, I'm assuming everyone knows him at least

And I've excluded everything I've read that was required for my current research, thus showing Elpea to be nothing more than an unlearned and unwashed petit-bourgeois who believes himself to be 'intellectual' but is unable to perceive actual intellect, and is thus doomed to pursue 'books' as nothing more than a performance of denial that he is anything more than a cog toiling for more money to feed his carnal activities (food, games, reproduction) :considerably:/>

DF which Kafka, let me know once you have read

Edited by Veggie who enjoys flowers in his tea and cocks in his mouth

And I've excluded everything I've read that was required for my current research, thus showing Elpea to be nothing more than an unlearned and unwashed petit-bourgeois who believes himself to be 'intellectual' but is unable to perceive actual intellect, and is thus doomed to pursue 'books' as nothing more than a performance of denial that he is anything more than a cog toiling for more money to feed his carnal activities (food, games, reproduction) :considerably:style="border: 0px; vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(222, 202, 149);">/>

Is this one of those times where you give yourself a verbal blowjob in order to compensate for your statistically tiny penis?

• I'm with stupid 3

If you think about it, penis envy is a really weird thing, because if all goes well you will never ever actually have material confirmation of any other man's penis or their satisfaction with their respective penises :kjv:

DF, I liked the Penal Colony / Strafkolonie, and The Judgment and The Castle are must reads. I'm interested in any short stories you think are particularly good so I can check them out.

If you think about it, penis envy is a really weird thing, because if all goes well you will never ever actually have material confirmation of any other man's penis or their satisfaction with their respective penises

What do you think I was doing while you slept over?

Also don't be a dick. Admittedly I've only taken up a huge interest in humanities as of like.. last year. I'm looking for recommendations and we often had these threads brimming with suggestions.

But god damn you sure do fit the stereotype of humanities majors and their endless quest of reassuring the world they are good at things.

There are plenty of suggestions in this thread already. Let us know what you want to read and we can give you stuff. Novels? History? Philosophy? Humanities research? Existentialist? Adventure? What? A bit of Kafka is a must for anybody, a Camus can be a good introduction I feel to modern classics of that sort.

Edited by Veggie who enjoys flowers in his tea and cocks in his mouth

A bit of Kafka is a must for anybody

It's what was suggested to me. I can't read 10 books a month like you singlelings but I'll report back on what I get done.

If you think about it, penis envy is a really weird thing, because if all goes well you will never ever actually have material confirmation of any other man's penis or their satisfaction with their respective penises :kjv:

Don't be a selfish dick, it's about the satisfaction of the other sex with your penis. IT IS A BAD SIGN THIS TOPIC HAS NEVER BEEN BROACHED

A bit of Kafka is a must for anybody

It's what was suggested to me. I can't read 10 books a month like you singlelings but I'll report back on what I get done.

Well, read The Metamorphosis then I guess, it's an utter classic and it's not too long.